In this life, we are constantly tested and tried and given extremely difficult challenges. I know for me, I always find myself asking why. Why me? or Why did this have to happen? or Why do bad things happen to good people? and so on. And even though I don't have all the answers, I know there are a few truths that have made it possible for me to face my challenges in life with faith, strength, and hope:
1. Having the knowledge that we have a Father in Heaven who loves us individually. He knows our names and he knows exactly what we are going through. He completely understands our pain and our sufferings. Our Heavenly Father would never leave our side, especially during our hardest trials. There is nothing we can do to make Him stop loving us. There is nothing we can do that makes us unworthy of his love. Heavenly Father loves us perfectly and completely.
2. Knowing that Jesus Christ atoned for our sins. He has felt every single thing that we have felt and he knows us perfectly. Christ's atonement provides comfort, love, peace, hope, and salvation. His atonement was perfect and because of that it can make all of our wrongs become rights and all of our sins can be washed away. Christ's atonement can get you through anything in life. Through His atonement we are able to know that storms don't last forever. The atonement brings so much hope and peace into our lives and that is all because our Savior Jesus Christ suffered for us individually.
3. Realizing that God's plan for us can offer a life changing perspective. If you remember that God has it all planned out for us and he wants us to be happy, you can completely change your attitude towards your situation. Instead of asking why me, you'll begin to be thankful for your trials because of your trust in His plan. Eternal perspective is key. Remember that one day God will reveal everything to us. One day we will know why we suffered as much as we did. And one day, these hardships we faced won't be felt anymore because we will be wrapped up in the arms of our Heavenly Father.
4. Because I'm so blessed with so many amazing men in my life I have gained a testimony that the power of the priesthood can heal all wounds. If you are experiencing a horrible tragedy or facing a hard time in your life, ask a priesthood holder close to you for a blessing. The priesthood is a special and holy gift that can bring healing and peace. Priesthood blessings can provide ultimate comfort and true hope for the future. Use the power of the priesthood in your life, it is a tool that many people tend to overlook. I am so grateful to have such easy access to the priesthood power.
5. I have found that applying the "primary answers" to my life, I am able to get through the toughest trials. Go to church, read your scriptures, pay your tithing, say your prayers, keep the commandments etc. These things may seem so basic and so simple, and that is because they are! These are the things that are taught to us from before we can crawl. And somehow, they are the most important things we can do. These things keep us on the right path. Using these things in hard times can help you feel a closeness with your Savior and can help you feel comfort and love.
So I guess the answer to all the "why's" is because it will help you grow. Trials give you an opportunity to become closer to our Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ. The outcome of our trials will far exceed the pain of them. Often, the loneliest roads lead to the most amazing places. The lowest points in our lives tend to lead to the most amazing blessings. No trial will ever be wasted because each trial we go through makes us strong and has the potential to bring us closer to Christ. A lot of the time, trials come when you least expect them to and they are evidence that the Lord feels you are ready for more growth in your life. God then gives you experiences that cause growth and understanding that will help you get from where you are now to where He ultimately wants you to be. But generally getting to where He wants us to be requires a lot of hardship and pain. It is while you are on that path from where you are to where He wants you to be that you must remember to put all your faith into God's plan and rely on the atonement and the principles of the gospel. Just remember that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always going to be by your side.
"Sometimes the Lord calms the storm, and sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms the child."