Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lose Yourself in Service

 Yesterday I started my internship at the Family Support and Treatment Center in Orem. There I have the amazing opportunity to teach and play with children who have been neglected, abused, or who's parents just need a little extra help with childcare. The feeling I got while serving yesterday was indescribable and I haven't been that genuinely happy in 3 weeks. I knew that yesterday I was acting as the Lord's hands in these children's lives. We have been commanded by the Lord to serve others and help the poor and needy, and I know that as we keep that commandment and lose ourselves in service, we will be the ones who will benefit from it. The Lord will lead you to those in need if you will embrace the gospel. If you ever feel as if you are too sad or broken to serve, remember that no matter what circumstances you are currently experiencing, your influence can be life changing and touch so many lives. The miracle I have found with service is that you tend to find your true self when you lose yourself in service! It truly is such a blessing and it brings so much happiness! We have all heard the quote "When you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God." I feel like because we've heard it so many times, we may over look the amazing truth that lies within it. When you serve those around you, when you help the poor and the needy, you are serving God. You are not only being one of His tools, you are serving him by correlation. Christ gave us the most incredible example of service with the atonement. He came down to earth and lived a life full of service and love and then made the ultimate sacrifice and act of service when he died for every single one of us on the cross. In life, never feel like your service is too small or isn't enough. That is Satan. Satan will try to tell you that, "Your small efforts are meaningless." or if you are heavily burdened he will try and say "You don't have time to be concerned for others."  If you put your trust in the Lord, He will completely shut down everything that Satan tries to tell you and He will do everything He can to make sure you are planted in the path of service and that your heart is dedicated to follow the example of the Savior. God often answers prayers through other people, so you never know when you might be the answer to someone's prayer. The smallest act of service to someone could be just what they have been praying for. Basically what I am trying to say is utilize every opportunity you can to serve. Serve serve serve serve serve! Because as I have gone through this trial in my life, I have found that I am happiest when I serve and that my prayers get answered through my service. I testify that service can change your life and makes you more like our Savior. I know that losing yourself in service can be the ultimate tool in finding your true self.

"Often, the answer to our prayer does not come while we’re on our knees but while we’re on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us. Selfless acts of service and consecration refine our spirits, remove the scales from our spiritual eyes, and open the windows of heaven. By becoming the answer to someone’s prayer, we often find the answer to our own."
--Dieter F. Uchtdorf

(The last picture is of a drawing that a little girl did for me yesterday. It truly made my day when she said "Jenna! I drawed us and there is a rainbow because um they're pretty and you're pretty") 



No comments:

Post a Comment