Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Reflect Christ

Over the course of my life as a girl, I have gotten in the habit of overly caring about how I look. I wake up and take so much to get ready and look “perfect”, still to spend my day wondering: Is my hair right? Is my makeup perfect? Is my outfit cute? All these things run through my mind not just while I’m getting ready in the morning, but as I am walking around throughout the day. But lately, that has changed. Instead of focusing on getting ready each morning, I am focusing on making sure I say my morning prayers and I’m reading my scriptures. I ask the Lord to be with me throughout my day and help me to do His will. And from doing this, I no longer spend my day thinking about me, I spend my day thinking about Him. I often find myself wondering, when people look at me, can they see Christ? Do I reflect that light that He has? Do I resemble Him at all? And if I don’t resemble Him, what changes do I need to make in life to make sure that when people see me, they see Him? Well, to reflect the light of Christ we first must be living life the way Christ did. This involves keeping the commandments, reading the scriptures, attending church meetings, saying your prayers, and serving others. We must be striving to be like Him if we want to reflect Him. I believe that if we are to be a reflection of our Savior, we must have faith, hope, and charity. When I think of these things, the first thing that comes to my mind is the words of Paul when he said, “And now abideth faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.” These three things will bring you closer to your Savior, and the closer you get to Him, they more you become like Him! I also am reminded of the words of Moroni, “Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must also be charity.” Growing up in the church, I heard all the time that charity is the pure love of Christ; what better way to be a reflection of Him then by showing others the power of His pure love?! And when we are keeping the commandments and doing the things we are supposed to be doing, these Christ-like attributes will abide with us. But it is not an over night process; we must put in the work and the time to build up these attributes in ourselves. Each one is incomplete without the other. Moroni goes on to explain that we cannot be saved if we don’t have these attributes. By slowly strengthening these traits within ourselves, the light of Christ will grow within us. People will know just by looking at you that you are a true disciple and follower of Christ. If we want to reflect Christ, we first must follow Him and then become like Him. I strive to become more like my amazing Savior every day and strive to have the honor and privilege of having His light with me always. I strive to have Him in my countenance and reflect His goodness and glory. So now, each morning, I ask myself, “When people look at you, do they see Him?”

No comments:

Post a Comment